Author Topic: Correct way to simulate a M7.2 EQ near San Francisco  (Read 4943 times)

rcosta

• View Profile
Correct way to simulate a M7.2 EQ near San Francisco
« on: August 16, 2021, 09:30:45 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for the best/correct way to use R2D to simulate a 7.2Mw earthquake on the San Andreas fault near San Francisco.
Currently, I am trying to filter earthquakes by name using keywords 'San Andreas' and limiting the distance to 50km (I also tried other values), and keeping other options as default (see screenshot attached). The PGA values I get from this approach seem low - below 0.25g in most realizations and the spatial distribution seems inconsistent.
I am attaching the input file I used (note: the VS30 is constant for testing) and the output (99 realizations of the PGA for each station).

I wonder if this is the correct way to conduct this simulation or if I am missing something which would explain my results.

Thank you in advance,
Rodrigo.

kuanshi

• View Profile
Re: Correct way to simulate a M7.2 EQ near San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:36:35 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

Sorry about the confusion due to this issue - after diagnosing the problem, a bug was identified and fixed in filtering the earthquake rupture distance.  Attached below please find the FetchOpenSHA.py script (also in a recent commit - https://github.com/NHERI-SimCenter/SimCenterBackendApplications/pull/94/commits/f27b02c5b992ea0c4912e9dd62b855c149019bbd) and the output IMs folder of the test (99 realizations of PGA for each site in the SiteList.csv).

This is going to be updated into the next release, but in the meantime, a quick patch for this issue on your local is: please download the attached python script and paste it into the directory under the R2D application (i.e., "R2D_Windows_Download/applications/performRegionalEventSimulation/regionalGroundMotion").  Please test and feel free to get me back.  Sorry again about this inconvenience and thank you so much for identifying and reporting this problem to us!

Kuanshi

rcosta

• View Profile
Re: Correct way to simulate a M7.2 EQ near San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 11:51:45 PM »
Thank you, Kuanshi!