Author Topic: When the same directional component is defined in both directions  (Read 6194 times)

ioannis_vm

• View Profile
When the same directional component is defined in both directions
« on: September 21, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »
Hello.
When I add two component groups of the same component in two directions of the same story, I get a total repair cost that has a single jump at their total repair cost (for simplicity assume a single damage state).

I would expect to get two jumps, one corresponding to the likelihood of damage of a single component, and then a second one corresponding to both getting damaged.
If I separate the components by copying the contents of the fragility file and treating the component in direction 2 as having a different component type, I get the results I expected.

I have set all correlations to "Independent" in the Dependencies tab.
What could be the reason behind this?
I attach the files you can use to reproduce this.
Thank you!

adamzs

• View Profile
Re: When the same directional component is defined in both directions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 06:32:16 AM »
Hi Ioannis,

Thank you for reporting this strange behavior and sharing your input files. I tried to reproduce the problem and I got correct results for both cases.

Are you using the latest version of PBE?
You can find the latest version here (the documentation also points to this location): https://www.designsafe-ci.org/data/browser/public/designsafe.storage.community/%2FSimCenter%2FSoftware%2FPBE

If you are using the latest version, I would appreciate it if you could share the results generated by the application in the first (same_file) case. The results are available in the working directory; the location of that directory is specified under File/Preferences/Local Jobs Directory.

Thank you!

ioannis_vm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 05:01:40 AM »
Right.
I guess most people won't have this problem.
This is happening on an Ubuntu machine where I compiled PBE from source, using the latest states of the corresponding GitHub repos. I am basically following what's done in the appveyor.yml file.
I had done this a couple of months ago on a different workstation and when I reproduced this it worked as intended, just like in your case.
Unfortunately I can't send you the logs because while debugging on my own I broke my builds on both workstations, which is why it took me a while to write back. What happens now on both machines is that PBE crashes when I switch from HAZUS to FEMA P-58 in the drop-down menu. The terminal gives me some hints related to Conan. I am not an expert on Conan.
I will have to investigate this further.

ioannis_vm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »
As an update to my previous post,
It turns out that the program crashes when the paths specified in the preferences dialog don't exist, and you switch from HAZUS to FEMA P-58 in the DL tab. When they do exist, it works fine.
I don't know if the same would happen on other platforms.
I compiled the latest source code on Ubuntu 20.04 and I get the expected behavior now. I still don't know why this was happening before, but I guess it doesn't matter.
Thanks for being willing to help!

adamzs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 02:16:14 AM »
Hi Ioannis,

I am happy to hear that your latest builds performed as expected and it is also good to know that PBE builds fine on Ubuntu - although the backend is platform-independent, we only test the frontends on Mac and Windows.

If you don't mind, I would like to learn more about the error you experienced when switching from HAZUS to FEMA P58. Which paths in the preferences were involved in this?
I assume it is the Backend Applications. It is important to have a valid path for the Backend Applications because the default fragility data is stored as part of the backend. When choosing FEMA P58, the fragility data is loaded to populate the component list in the Components tab under DL. Now, if you provide an invalid path to the backend applications, I can imagine that the tool fails when trying to load the defaults.
I would appreciate it if you could confirm that this was indeed the case in your experience or provide more information to help me better understand the error.

Thank you!

ioannis_vm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 03:20:03 AM »
This has to be the case, yes.
When I open PBE for the first time after it is compiled, and I go to File > Preferences, I get a dialog that looks like this:

So the path tot the Backend Applications actually looks incorrect. It is in this phase that if I navigate to DL and switch to FEMA P-58 it crashes.

and my terminal shows this output, which fooled me into thinking that something was wrong with conan:

When I correct the paths ...:

it works.

The build instructions clearly mention that you have to update the paths. I was just assuming that this would only matter after hitting "Run".
I am glad that I can build and use the apps on Linux, even though you don't test them on that platform. To Freedom!!

adamzs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:16:53 AM »
Thanks for the detailed response! It is reassuring to know that the docs are helpful and that the error was only due to this detail.

Let us know if you run into any other problems.