Author Topic: Fragility Data  (Read 3697 times)

aramsubramanian

• View Profile
Fragility Data
« on: April 29, 2022, 01:12:09 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to load the entire fragility database from FEMA P-58 like you showed in the video but I don't see any folder being downloaded.  The following are the components that we additionally need fragility data for.

It would be great if you can help us with downloading the existing data or maybe provide us with the corresponding json files for the following components. We greatly appreciate your help in this regard.

HVAC - Pressure Dependent Air Valves (Phoenix type boxes)   None Found
Electrical - Electrical Distribution conduits   None Found
Electrical - Electrical Distribution – cable trays   None Found
HVAC - Boiler capacity   None Found
Post-Northridge Reduced Beam Section (RBS) connection with   B1035.001
Post-Northridge RBS connection with welded web, beam both sides   B1035.011
Post-Northridge welded steel moment connection other than RBS, beam one side   B1035.021
Post-Northridge welded steel   B1035.031
Pre-Northridge Welded moment connection other than RBS, beam both sides (WUF-B) beam-column joint, beam   B1035.041
Pre-Northridge WUF-B beam- Unreinforced Flange-Bolted one side column joint, beam both sides   B1035.051

adamzs

• View Profile
Re: Fragility Data
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 12:57:12 AM »
Hi Aram,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

When exporting the component database, make sure you select a location where PBE has permission to write the files to. Your Users folder or OneDrive might not work well.
To make our lives easier, I've exported the database and included a zip file here with all of the components in it. Please feel free to use this (i.e., extract the zip file in a folder and point to that folder as the "Damage and Loss Data Folder" in the Components tab in PBE.

Now, about the components that you're missing: the ones with IDs will be in this database, but I am not sure what to do about the first four that have no IDs.
Does this list of components come from the Normative Quantities tool?

Adam

aramsubramanian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:00:55 PM »
Hey Adam,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll import the folder to the respective damage loss folder.

Yes, those four components come from the FEMA NQET excel sheet. Since we are designing a retail building, we thought electrical wiring and cable trays might be an essential part of damage estimation. Is it okay to ignore their contribution while calculating loss since we don't have the fragility data ?

Sincerely,
Aram Valartha Nayaki Subramanian

adamzs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 09:57:14 PM »
Hi Aram,

I hope you could successfully import the fragility database.

As for the components you asked about earlier, I took a look at the NQET spreadsheet. As far as I understand, the spreadsheet is designed to provide you the quantity of those missing ("None found") component types, but FEMA P58 does not have a corresponding fragility function to use to describe their damage. I assume the spreadsheet and the fragilities were developed by different working groups in the project and not everything lined up perfectly in the end.

You can confirm this by looking at the "Normative Quantity Database" sheet where you'll see those broad component groups listed in Column J. The quantities assigned to various occupancy types are to the right and the components assigned to each group are to the left (column D). Now, the groups you highlighted all have NONE AVAILABLE in column D. Furthermore, if you take a note of the group ID listed in column C for them (that is, D302, D309, and D502, respectively), and go to the "Fragility Database" sheet, you'll see that those IDs are not available in column B.

If this was a consulting project, I would encourage you to look at the literature and try to find a way to model the fragility of those components. Since this is a homework assignment, I suggest checking with your instructor to make sure they're okay with you leaving these out.

Adam