Author Topic: Verification and Validation  (Read 7215 times)

NadimBari

• View Profile
Verification and Validation
« on: May 19, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »
I am trying to do the verification and validation example presented on pages 52 - 58 of The Earthquake Engineering with Uncertainty Quantification (EE-UQ) Application document by McKenna et. al. I am unable to run the python script as PFA.out and PID.out files do no exist. I am wondering if anyone has done this example can give more details on where these out files are being generated.

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Verification and Validation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »

the 2 files you mention are created by OpenSees when it runs the Ex1b.Portal2D.EQ.tcl script. The following are the two line in the script that generate these files:

recorder EnvelopeNode -file PFA.out -timeSeries 1 -node 3 -dof 1 accel;         # Peak Floor Absolute Acceleration
recorder EnvelopeDrift -file PID.out -iNode 1 -jNode 3 -dof 1 -perpDirn 2

it is the python script  PortalFrameSampling.py that causes OpenSees to run multip[le times to perform the sampling. If you look you will see that for each invocation of OpenSees, the python script creates a directory, runs OpenSees in that directory, reads the results in the 2 files you are looking for from that directory, and then DELETES the directory. If you want to see the files after the python script is run you will need to comment out the line removing the directory (line 40):

shutil.rmtree(sampleName)

note: depending on your version of python you may need to change the prints at the bottom of the. said python script to something like:

#Printing results                                                                                                                                         
print ('Mean Peak Floor Acceleration: ', np.mean(PFA))
print ('Peak Floor Acceleration Std. Dev: ', np.std(PFA))

print ('Mean Peak Drift: ', np.mean(PID))
print ('Peak Drift Std. Dev.: ', np.std(PID))

NadimBari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »
The Ex1b.Portal2D.EQ.tcl script that I downloaded from the manual does not have the two lines you mentioned. Here is the link to the EQ ground-motion analysis that I am using:

https://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/index.php/OpenSees_Example_1b._Elastic_Portal_Frame

The Verification Python script that I am using begins on Page 56 of the EE-UQ documentation found on the SimCenter website
(https://www.designsafe-ci.org/data/browser/public/designsafe.storage.community//SimCenter/Software/EE_UQ)

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 06:23:35 AM »