Author Topic: Component Definition  (Read 6229 times)

guanxingquan

• View Profile
Component Definition
« on: May 26, 2020, 04:57:56 AM »
Hello, I have a question regarding the component definition:

If the component is non-directional, what should be put in the field of "direction" ?

If the component is in both orthogonal direction, then the "median_quantity" is the summation of the components in both directions?

See the attached photo for details.

adamzs

• View Profile
Re: Component Definition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 11:25:52 PM »
Hi,

If a component is non-directional, the information you provide under 'direction' is not used. I usually provide '1' for the sake of consistency, but it really does not matter. I plan to improve on this by allowing N/A under direction for such cases in version 3.0. Make sure you do not provide two direction values (such as '1, 2') because that will lead to two non-directional performance groups.

The median_quantity is applied to each performance group defined. If you have, for example, location=1,2 and direction=1,2, that leads to a total of 4 performance groups: on floors 1 and 2 in directions 1 and 2. The median_quantity is applied to each of those. Using median_quantity=10, for example, would lead to a total quantity of 40 in the building. If you want to use different quantities across floors and directions, you need multiple dictionary entries under the same component name, each specifying the location and direction of a given performance group.

Let me know if you have further questions.

pengyuchen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »
Hi Adam,

Would you mind to explain how to calculate the median_quantiy?

For structural components with unit "ea", I do understand how to calculate it.

However, for those components with "ft" or "ft2", I really have no idea.

Thank you so much.

adamzs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 05:54:46 AM »
Hi Peng-Yu,

The median_quantity of a component type is ideally based on what is in the building. If you are looking at a particular building and have the design documentation available, you can use that to estimate at least the structural component quantities.

If you are working with a hypothetical building you can either assume a particular design and use that to estimate components, or you can use the normative quantities in FEMA P58 to get a rough estimate.