Author Topic: EQHazard: getting "null" for GroundMotions  (Read 6809 times)

wangcb98

• View Profile
EQHazard: getting "null" for GroundMotions
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:36:02 AM »
Hi,

I am a graduate student at Stanford University. I was able to use EQHazard without a problem for quite a long time, but recently I encountered a situation where I kept getting "null" for GroundMotions in the output file. I am wondering if this happened to other users and if so I would really appreciate some advice. I also found that opensha.usc.edu cannot be accessed, which might be related to this issue.

Please see attached files for the input file I used and the commands I typed.

Thanks in advance.

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EQHazard: getting "null" for GroundMotions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »
it is a problem when you use remote sites that they can move things around and take things down. this appears to be what has happened here. do other motions work with the same url to opensha or are they all down?

wangcb98

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 11:54:00 PM »
Hi, could you please further clarify what do you mean by "do other motions work with the same url to opensha"? If you were asking whether this happens to all EqRuptures, then yes it did happen no matter how I change the ruptures. May I ask have you recently used EQHazard and how was that going for you? Thanks!

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »
what i wanted to see was if the problem was related to a single motion or all .. you basically confirmed it was all .. if you look at the output that you provided in your original post you will see that the errors started when accessing the opensha.usc.edu website .. a wget with the same URL returns a similar error message  .. so either the web service that was provided is no longer functional or the calling sequence has been changed .. issuing the following at a terminal window

wget http://opensha.usc.org:8080/OpenSHA_dev/Site_Data/Wills2015

or even placing the url in the browser both return null data.

will look into it further to see if they have moved stuff around.

wangcb98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Please let me keep me posted on new findings you get. Thanks!

kuanshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:42 AM »
Hi wangcb98, the issue comes from the recent commit by the OpenSHA-1.5.2 (https://github.com/opensha/opensha-commons/commit/5fea7ff95faa3b1ece47fe4c97b5dbcfcd5e8cee) where the site data were moved to the commons and their corresponding servlet paths were updated, so the old url in OpenSHA-1.4.0 cannot be recognized anymore.

The solution is to rebuild your EQHazard with the updated dependency to the OpenSHA-1.5.2. It can resolve the issue of "null" ground motion in your case. We're now in the process of testing other examples before making a merge commit. But you're welcome to check out the current source code from https://github.com/kuanshi/GroundMotionUtilities/tree/opensha152.