Author Topic: 2D Shallow water solver as ADCIRC and CFD solver as Flow 3D instead of OPENFOAM  (Read 4879 times)

waqas

• View Profile
Hi,

I am waqas, PhD student from University of Delaware and interested in using the 2D shallow water solver as ADCIRC and CFD solver as the Flow 3D. I was curious that I can do that in HydroUQ specifically for bridges?

2. Can we calculate the fragilities out of this tool for any EDP like displacements?
3. For recording script, can we really define the recording locations as bridge specific points like their peir - to abutment joints etc.?
4. And what if we want to take responses on other neighboring structures like other bridges or may be even buildings to get a integrate response of buildings and bridges both in some specific very much vulnerable community?

Thanks
Waqas

JustinBonus

• View Profile
Hi Waqas,

As of the most recent HydroUQ release (v2.0) AdCirc is not supported, although GeoClaw is, for use as a shallow water solver. See the technical manual page at:
https://nheri-simcenter.github.io/Hydro-Documentation/Hydro/techman/swsolver/swsolver.html

However, we may add AdCirc if there is enough community interest, or other tools like COULWAVE, FUNWAVE-TVD, Celeris, etc.

Contact us to show your interest at:
nheri-simcenter@berkeley.edu
ajaybh@berkeley.edu
fmckenna@berkeley.edu
bonusj@uw.edu

Until then, you can try to convert any shallow-water input files you have to a GeoClaw compatible format and then use those in the app. HydroUQ is also designed to be modular, so it is possible to implement AdCirc yourself,  although it will take some work.

Likewise, HydroUQ only supports OpenFOAM currently for 3D CFD solutions. We are considering implementing other solvers (e.g. using SPH / MPM) but contact us if you believe there is a strong benefit to HydroUQ supporting a specific CFD software like Flow-3D.

Hope this helps,
Justin Bonus