Research in Natural Hazards Engineering > Damage & Loss (PELICUN)

Generation of Simulated Demands

<< < (2/2)

adamzs:
Hi Jiajun,

Do you want to use the Matlab code provided by FEMA P58 or you want to reproduce the method from Appendix G in Pelicun?
That method describes fitting a multivariate lognormal distribution to EDP data, increasing the log standard deviations, and then sampling it. Pelicun can certainly do this if you are interested.

1 The values in the example are indeed different from the data provided in the tables that you pasted. I wanted to have EDPs for two directions and those tables only provide one value per floor. Furthermore, I could not find in the document what those values are. They might be the average, geometric mean, maximum, or some other combination of the results in the two directions.
The nonlinear analysis results from Figure 1-14 - 1-21 gave me the 10th percentile, median, and 90th percentile of EDPs in two directions on each floor at each intensity level. Those were sufficient information to fit a lognormal distribution and I considered them the raw results of the analysis. Note that these do not match the results in Table 1-35 - 1-42, so those must have been processed in some way.
If you have some suggestions of how to reconcile those differences, please let me know.

2. I have good news: adding environmental impact is high on our list. The framework is ready to support it, but the actual timeline depends on who gets the job done. The worst-case scenario is I have to do it, which means it will be available sometime around the end of this year. I might get some help from graduate students that could expedite this development by a few months.
If you are interested in adding this feature, that's also an option and I would be more than happy to guide you on the way. To give you an idea of what such a development would entail:
- You'd need to create a new consequence function table that describes the parameters of functions used for environmental impacts. This is similar to the repair cost/time table I already have prepared in a CSV file.
- Then, you'd need to add a new child class of the LossModel in the model.py module that handles the calculation of such impacts. Based on my superficial understanding of the environmental impact calculation, you might be able to use most of the BldgRepairModel and perhaps even have the EnvironmentalImpactModel be a child of that class to make the calculation simpler.
That's all we need to get this done. Let me know if you're interested.

Adam

Jiajun:
Hello Adam,

As you said, I want to reproduce the method from Appendix G in pelicun, but I don't know how to do it. It would be useful for me if pelicun can handle the raw demand as the method from Appendix G directly. This shows how powerful and flexible the pelicun is. So can you tell me how to do this or give me some guidance?

1.Thank you so much for your detailed and patient response about this question, they solved my doubts.

2.Although I am not familiar with the development work you mentioned, I am very interested in it. My only regret is that I am currently a new PhD student and have limited time and energy. But I will continue to learn about it and try to do this work in my free time. If I make any progress, I would be happy to share my results with you.

Finally, thank you for your patience and professional response!

Jiajun

adamzs:
Hi Jiajun,

Are you familiar with Google Colab? I could prepare a notebook that shows you an example usage. If not, I can just post a series of commands here that you can use as a template.

As for the environmental impact, please don't feel any pressure about this. I will get the feature added before the end of the year anyway, so the only reason for you to get involved is if you want to have it available before then.

Let me know your preference on Colab and I'll share the template for demand calibration.

Adam

Jiajun:
Hi Adam,

I have used Google Colab before, you can share the notebook with me through this colab account:"jiajundu99@gmail.com“ or share a link with me here.

As for the environmental impact, I would really like to have this feature as soon as possible, so I would appreciate if any help you can give me.

Jiajun

adamzs:
Hi Jiajun,

I am writing to let you know that the calibration notebook is on my list of todos and I'll get to it shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Adam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version