Research in Natural Hazards Engineering > Regional Hazard Simulation (R2D, rWhale)

EQHazard: dm input value for ERF

(1/2) > >>

Anne Hulsey:
Currently, the ERF output assumes that the magnitude interval for the OpenSHA catalog is 0.1. Can that become an input parameter so I can decrease it to 0.05?

Anne Hulsey:
A recent discussion with Jack Baker indicated that there might also be an OpenSHA input parameter to specify the empirical relationships for moment magnitude to rupture geometry (e.g. Wells and Coppersmith 1994).

This would also be a nice feature (that I would use if it were included within the next 2 months) but the parameter for dm is a higher priority.

elhaddad:
Thanks for the feature requests!
We will consider them in the near future and will keep you posted on any progress.

elhaddad:
We started looking into implementing these features. I found that in OpenSHA UCERF implementations the magnitude interval is not one of the adjustable parameters.

For instance you can check here:
https://github.com/opensha/opensha-core/blob/3ca5a46ae92589c4d15e4e9a1d5110658e58a687/src/org/opensha/sha/earthquake/rupForecastImpl/WGCEP_UCERF_2_Final/UCERF2.java

line 68 shows that the variable DELTA_MAG is declared as final, which means its value cannot be changed for UCERF2.

Selecting the magnitude area relationship is possible.
The possible values are:
Ellsworth-A (WGCEP, 2002, Eq 4.5a)
Ellsworth-B (WGCEP, 2002, Eq 4.5b)
Hanks & Bakun (2002)
Somerville (2006)
WGCEP (2007) power law
Shaw (2007)

Wells and Coppersmith 1994 model is not one of the allowed models for UCERF2.

Specifying the magnitude area relationship is not possible using the current Mean UCERF2 model.
But it is possible to add the adjustable UCERF2 model as a possible input.
Just wanted to confirm with you that this is the feature you are looking for before implementing it.

elhaddad:
 I forgot to mention in OpenSHA website, there is some description of the magnitude area relationships, in this page:
http://www.opensha.org/glossary-magScalingRelation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version