Research in Natural Hazards Engineering > Earthquake Engineering (EE-UQ)

pushover results for AutoSDA

(1/2) > >>

Anne Hulsey:
Hello,

Is there a way to get pushover results from the AutoSDA analysis? It looks like they have been commented out of the main_program script. Speaking of which, I'm a little surprised to see that the Eigen Value Analysis has also been commented out, given that I am still getting eigen value results, such as the first few periods of the building.

If you could help me confirm how to get all the results, in particular the pushoever curve, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anne

kuanshi:
Hi Anne,

The AutoSDA package is kindly shared by its developer for implementing it for dynamic analysis in EE-UQ.  Some modules are not used, e.g., the EigenValueAnalysis and PushoverAnalysis in the main_program are commented  by EE-UQ (as not used for nonlinear time history analysis).  The fundamental periods are still computed by the EigenValueAnalysis during the "seismic_design" step (invoked by the ElasticAnalysis) and the eigen analysis is also conducted later in nonlinear_analysis_solver.tcl for setting up Rayleigh damping.

To run these commented analysis, please just uncomment the corresponding section (e.g., Perform Nonlinear Pushover Analysis) in the main_program with a minor patch: replace the "pathDataFolder" in "target_model = pathDataFolder + "/BuildingNonlinearModel/" + analysis_type" with "os.path.dirname(pathDataFolder".  This would run the uncommented analysis under individual workdir (e.g., LocalWorkDir/tmp.SimCenter/workdir.X/BuildingNonlinearModels/PushoverAnalysis) - the result folder (e.g., PushOverOutput) are also in that directory.  Based on the model complexity, the pushover analysis sometimes may take a while to be completed.

Best,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey:
Thanks, Kuanshi! Does this mean that it would produce the same results in the individual workdir for each selected ground motion? Based on the comment about how long it can take, is there a way to make it only run for the first workdir? I tried setting up an if statement but I had a hard time following how it iterates through each ground motion and what variables I could use to identify whether I wanted the pushover analysis to run.

Speaking of which, at first glance it appears that it might be redesigning the building for every selected ground motion. If this is correct, is there a way to make it more efficient, such as run the design and everything else that is not gm specific (e.g. the pushoever) first and then copy over everything that will be duplicated?

Thanks,
Anne

kuanshi:
Hi Anne,

Yes, the current AutoSDA adpots the ELF method for designing the frame which is based on elastic analysis (please refer to Guan. et al., Python-based computational platform to automate seismic design, nonlinear structural model construction and analysis of steel moment resisting frames, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2020.111199 for more details) - so the pushover analysis in individual workdir is for the same structure (not redesigned for every ground motion).

And for using if statement to avoid duplicating pushover runs in multiple workdir folders, maybe try to encapsulate the "subprocess.Popen("OpenSees Model.tcl, shell=True).wait()" in "if 'workdir.1' in target_model:" - this would invoke the pushover run only for the first workdir.

Best,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey:
Thanks, Kuanshi!

I couldn't get it to work, either with the if statement or the first way you described. However, I also didn't get an error. Could it be that it ran correctly but the results didn't get saved? Here is a link to the directories: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/185v1cHEr1WSitlreTpHo_PkO4pCHfIvU?usp=sharing

In case this continues to need more troubleshooting on my end, how can I run it in the command line so that I can get more feedback on what might be going wrong?

Also, I see that my question about the design wasn't clear. I agree that the structure will always be the same, as the design method is not dependent on the selected ground motion. But is the process of design being re-initiated for every workdir? i.e., is line 79 in main_program part of a loop for all the ground motions or does it occur only once, after which the results are copied over into every workdir?

Thanks,
Anne

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version