Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - stan_lw

Pages: 1 [2]
Thank you for your suggestion. From Section 2.3 in the documentation (, there are three methods to specify the statistics: Direct specification,   Specification via interpolation, and Specification via prescribed functions. If I understood correctly, the “inflowProperties” file is only needed for the “Specification via prescribed functions method”. I am trying to use “Specification via interpolation” method which reads the tabulated data in constant/boundaryData/inlet. So I think the “inflowProperties” file is actually not needed?

Anyway I have try running with your suggestion. I added the downloaded file constant/inflowProperties, and modified 0/U inlet boundary as suggested. However, it still crashed at the first time step.

For the gridFactor, I use the default value (=1). For my inlet grid, the smallest grid area is 7.8125e-5 m^2. From the documentation “gridFactor entry defines ratio between the virtual grid spacing Δ with the square root of the area of the smallest face element on the inflow plane”, the virtual grid spacing Δ would be square root of 7.8125e-5 ~ 0.0088 m. Since my inlet plane is 4 m by 3 m, I expect there will be 4/0.0088 = 454 grids in the y-direction and 3/0.0088 = 341 grids in the z-direction, meaning there will be 454*341=154814 grids in the virtual grid. However, when I run pisoFoam, the output states “Generating Inflow for 25440 faces”. Does this mean there are only 25440 grids in the virtual grid? Is it possible to view the virtual grid, or output the coordinates of the virtual grids generated by TInF? Thank you.

I am trying to run a test case with turbulentDFMInlet using tabulated boundary data for U, R, L. Since the inhomogenousTurbulence case in the tutorial uses tabulated boundary data, I started with that case. This tutorial case uses turbulentATSMInlet, and I encounter no issue with that. However, when I modified it to run with turbulentDFMInlet, it crashed after the first time step. Below are the three changes I made to the original tutorial case file:

1)   In directory /constant/boundaryData/inlet, I renamed the file “L” to “L_ATSM”, then renamed “L_copy” to “L”
2)   In directory /0/U, I changed the inlet boundary condition from turbulentATSMInlet to turbulentDFMInlet
3)   Change endTime from 20 to 2 in controlDict file (this is not crucial, just to reduce the total run time while troubleshooting)

The case file is too large to be uploaded here. I will send it over email. The zipped case file also contains the run.log file and the error message when it crashed. Thank you!

Pages: 1 [2]