Author Topic: number of records for AutoSDA  (Read 4651 times)

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
number of records for AutoSDA
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:39:16 PM »
Hello,

I've gotten some surprising results when changing the number of records for the AutoSDA analysis.

1) I tried to run 1 gm so that I could get the design/model files stored locally before running more gms on DesignSafe. This caused an error.

2) 2 gms ran locally but sampled from the same two records to populate 11 rows in the results.

3) I tried to run 16 gms on DesignSafe to see if it only sampled 11 of them. The job says it finished but when I retrieve the results I get a blank table in the Data Values tab. This might be because I accidentally selected SRSS instead of H1 but I'm having a hard time testing it because my jobs are getting stuck in a queue. I'm attaching the log file. The zipped tmp folder is too big and looks like it's just input files anyway.

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
Re: number of records for AutoSDA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 05:18:35 PM »
Update: I tested the default AutoSDA example on DesignSafe, using 11gms and H1. It also produced a blank page in the Data Values tab.

kuanshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 07:58:33 AM »
Hi Anne,

Sorry about the confusion,

(1) currently EE-UQ always expects the job has at least one random variable (either the random variable defined in RV or multiple ground motion events) but running 1 gm with a deterministic model could still be achieved by defining a dummy variable in RV (with a non-constant distribution, please see an example in the attached "dummy-RV.png" and "dummy-RES.png").

(2) yes, EE-UQ would receive and use the "# Samples" in UQ->Dakota to set up the number of samples with sampled random variables (including ground motions) - when the number of selected motions (in EVT) is less than the "# Samples", samples with repeated motions would happen which corresponds to (not limited to) the user case of investigating the response sensitivity to structural modeling parameters.

(3) For the issue on DesignSafe - we tested the run on DesignSafe but could not replicate the problem - Thanks for sharing the log.txt from which the remote application is still v2.3.0. Could you please check the "Preferences" (File->Preferences) that "Remote Applications Directory" is "/work2/00477/tg457427/stampede2/SimCenterBackendApplications/v2.5.0" - and click the "Reset" button to automatically recover the settings if not. Please let us know if this could help resolve the remote run issue.

Thanks,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 08:47:16 PM »
Thanks, Kuanshi.

1) Worked great.

2) Thanks for pointing me to the other tabs, which I never look at. I ended up writing a new Example to autopopulate all the tabs as necessary for 1gm. (And will soon do the same for 30 and 100 gms.) Now that I see how versatile the load Example is, I would suggest including some documentation to make it clear that the user can take advantage of this feature.

3) Still not working. A remote run with 30 gm failed with no record of why. Then a run with 11gm had the same behavior as before (seems to load the results but the Data Values page is empty).

Thanks,
Anne

kuanshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Anne!  The user and developer team had met and resolved the issue together.

Regards,
Kuanshi