Author Topic: pushover results for AutoSDA  (Read 5580 times)

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
pushover results for AutoSDA
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:12:13 AM »
Hello,

Is there a way to get pushover results from the AutoSDA analysis? It looks like they have been commented out of the main_program script. Speaking of which, I'm a little surprised to see that the Eigen Value Analysis has also been commented out, given that I am still getting eigen value results, such as the first few periods of the building.

If you could help me confirm how to get all the results, in particular the pushoever curve, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anne

kuanshi

• View Profile
Re: pushover results for AutoSDA
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 05:44:26 AM »
Hi Anne,

The AutoSDA package is kindly shared by its developer for implementing it for dynamic analysis in EE-UQ.  Some modules are not used, e.g., the EigenValueAnalysis and PushoverAnalysis in the main_program are commented  by EE-UQ (as not used for nonlinear time history analysis).  The fundamental periods are still computed by the EigenValueAnalysis during the "seismic_design" step (invoked by the ElasticAnalysis) and the eigen analysis is also conducted later in nonlinear_analysis_solver.tcl for setting up Rayleigh damping.

To run these commented analysis, please just uncomment the corresponding section (e.g., Perform Nonlinear Pushover Analysis) in the main_program with a minor patch: replace the "pathDataFolder" in "target_model = pathDataFolder + "/BuildingNonlinearModel/" + analysis_type" with "os.path.dirname(pathDataFolder".  This would run the uncommented analysis under individual workdir (e.g., LocalWorkDir/tmp.SimCenter/workdir.X/BuildingNonlinearModels/PushoverAnalysis) - the result folder (e.g., PushOverOutput) are also in that directory.  Based on the model complexity, the pushover analysis sometimes may take a while to be completed.

Best,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »
Thanks, Kuanshi! Does this mean that it would produce the same results in the individual workdir for each selected ground motion? Based on the comment about how long it can take, is there a way to make it only run for the first workdir? I tried setting up an if statement but I had a hard time following how it iterates through each ground motion and what variables I could use to identify whether I wanted the pushover analysis to run.

Speaking of which, at first glance it appears that it might be redesigning the building for every selected ground motion. If this is correct, is there a way to make it more efficient, such as run the design and everything else that is not gm specific (e.g. the pushoever) first and then copy over everything that will be duplicated?

Thanks,
Anne

kuanshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 06:54:08 AM »
Hi Anne,

Yes, the current AutoSDA adpots the ELF method for designing the frame which is based on elastic analysis (please refer to Guan. et al., Python-based computational platform to automate seismic design, nonlinear structural model construction and analysis of steel moment resisting frames, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2020.111199 for more details) - so the pushover analysis in individual workdir is for the same structure (not redesigned for every ground motion).

And for using if statement to avoid duplicating pushover runs in multiple workdir folders, maybe try to encapsulate the "subprocess.Popen("OpenSees Model.tcl, shell=True).wait()" in "if 'workdir.1' in target_model:" - this would invoke the pushover run only for the first workdir.

Best,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »
Thanks, Kuanshi!

I couldn't get it to work, either with the if statement or the first way you described. However, I also didn't get an error. Could it be that it ran correctly but the results didn't get saved? Here is a link to the directories: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/185v1cHEr1WSitlreTpHo_PkO4pCHfIvU?usp=sharing

In case this continues to need more troubleshooting on my end, how can I run it in the command line so that I can get more feedback on what might be going wrong?

Also, I see that my question about the design wasn't clear. I agree that the structure will always be the same, as the design method is not dependent on the selected ground motion. But is the process of design being re-initiated for every workdir? i.e., is line 79 in main_program part of a loop for all the ground motions or does it occur only once, after which the results are copied over into every workdir?

Thanks,
Anne

kuanshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 07:33:28 AM »
Hi Anne,

Thanks for following up and sharing the tmp.SimCenter folder with us.  I tried to test a run in workdir.1 and the pushover analysis is able to be run - could you please try to help test followings:

(1) please download my main_program.py with the uncommented pushover also uploaded to the google drive you shared with us and use it to replace the old one under the EE-UQ_Windows/applications/createSAM/AutoSDA/;
(2) please launch a terminal and direct to the workdir.1 under the tmp.SimCenter
(3) in the workdir.1 folder please open the workflow_driver.bat and find the 6th command that invokes the main_program.py - please copy that command into the terminal and remove the quotations around argument keys (e.g., my command is C:\Users\kuans\Downloads\EE-UQ_Windows\EE-UQ_Windows_Download\applications\python\python.exe "C:/Users/kuans/Downloads/EE-UQ_Windows/EE-UQ_Windows_Download/applications/createSAM/AutoSDA/main_program.py" --filenameBIM "BIM.json" --filenameEVENT "EVENT.json" --filenameSAM "SAM.json")
(4) please run that command to see if the pushover could be run.

If the above test works, please try to launch the entire run from EE-UQ - feel free to get us back if it still has issues and we could find time to sort them out together.

And for the question on design (sorry about the misunderstanding the question) - yes, the design step would be repeated in individual workdir folders as each would run the same main_program.py.

Regards,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 10:22:23 PM »
Thanks, Kuanshi.

The instructions for running it in the command prompt helped solve the issue. The script you uploaded was identical to what I had been using yesterday, when EE-UQ would successfully run but not output the pushover results. When I tried to run it in the command prompt, the script couldn't launch because I didn't have OpenSees installed as a standalone program. Once I installed it on my computer and could get the script to run via the command prompt, the pushover analysis also worked successfully via the EE-UQ interface. However, I am quite surprised at the solution, because AutoSDA has been successfully launching OpenSees from EE-UQ for everything else, so I'm not sure why the installation would matter for the pushover analysis.

Today Adam and I discussed the fact that the design process is reinitiated for every ground motion. He said he would discuss his ideas with you but I wanted to add one additional feature request: it would be great if there were a radio button in the EE-UQ interface that allowed you to include a pushover analysis during the design process, if desired.

Thanks!
Anne

kuanshi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 06:16:09 PM »
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the feedback and would discuss with Adam about the design process.  And yes, we will add a button to invoke the AutoSDA to run and access the results of pushover analysis.

Thanks,
Kuanshi

Anne Hulsey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks!