Author Topic: ["No results to import!"] Buildings taken as HC in LC/PC Zone  (Read 4740 times)

mbenitez

• View Profile
["No results to import!"] Buildings taken as HC in LC/PC Zone
« on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:20 AM »
Hello,

My building inventory is in a Low-Code/Pre-Code zone and when I run a Shakemap Scenario, the fragility groups are not assigned properly. This is giving me a "No results to import!" message since there are no fragility groups for URM buildings in High-Code zones, per HAZUS' methodology. How can I make sure that the buildings are assigned to the correct zone?

I appreciate your help.

steveg

• View Profile
Re: ["No results to import!"] Buildings taken as HC in LC/PC Zone
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 02:22:24 AM »
Hi mbenitez,

Thank you for your question. If I understand the issue correctly, your building inventory is pre-/low code. However, R2D fails to assign fragilities because it incorrectly assumes a high-code value for some of the buildings that are URM? Let me know if I misunderstood.

Also, if you can provide me with your building inventory, either in a DM or attach it to a reply, I can take a look and see what is going on.

Best,
Steve

mbenitez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 06:57:14 AM »
Hi Steve,

You understood correctly. I have attached a sample of the building inventory. I tried to attach the shakemap scenario, but the post failed to upload. I used the East Franklin Mountains Fault scenario (https://earthquake.usgs.gov/scenarios/eventpage/bssc2014900_m7p03_se/shakemap/intensity). Thank you for looking into this.

Best,
Mariana

adamzs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 11:39:36 PM »
Hi Mariana,

The algorithm we use in the background to assign a Seismic Design Level based on the Year of Construction assumes that the region of interest is in a UBC Zone 4 in California. We use Table 5-35 from the Hazus Technical manual (see a copy attached below) as the basis of the assignment. It would be relatively straightforward for us to extend our script to support all zones listed in Table 5-35 and allow you to select the zone that applies to your analysis. However, the break points in that table correspond to major code benchmark years in California and I noticed that your site is in Texas, near El Paso. To get realistic results, you would need an assignment logic that corresponds to the design eras in that area. These eras might be building-specific, like we have special rules for W1 buildings in California. You can prepare such logic in a python script and feed it to the workflow in R2D; we use such scripts for examples 7 and 8 to analyze hurricane impacts, see here in the DL panel: https://nheri-simcenter.github.io/R2D-Documentation/common/user_manual/examples/desktop/E7HurricaneWindWater/README.html

I see a few different options going forward and we are happy to support you regardless of which one you choose:

- You can manually modify the year of construction for your URM buildings to be less than 1975. This will avoid them getting assigned to High-Code and let the analysis run. I suggest giving this a try just to confirm that you can run a regional analysis in R2D. Note that the results you get with this approach are not at all realistic, I do not recommend using them for anything but testing purposes.

- We can extend our algorithm to support all Zones in Table 5-35 and you can pick a Zone that you think represents the conditions in your target area. Depending on the evolution of design codes in your target area, this might work. Please let us know if you find this feature helpful for your work so that we can add it to the list of requests we have. I anticipate this extension to fit in for the next release of R2D that we are planning for late March. If you need to have it earlier than that, we can probably provide you a developer version of the tool in a few weeks that has this feature.

- Finally, you can prepare your own algorithm to assign Hazus fragility curves to buildings based on the local design evolution in El Paso. If you plan to use the results for serious research, I recommend going down this route. Let us know if you are interested and we are happy to provide you guidance on how to prepare such a script.

I hope this helps.

Adam

mbenitez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 12:35:12 AM »
Hi Adam,

Thank you for the thorough explanation. Option 3 is definitely the route I am thinking of taking. I will take a look at examples 7 and 8 from the R2D documentation in the meantime. I will reach out to you in the near future if I need help preparing the script. Thank you.

Best,
Mariana

mbenitez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 03:28:53 AM »
Hi Adam,

I conducted an in-depth research on the code evolution of El Paso, TX. Adobe buildings were approved and constructed well into the 1950s. I am currently preparing the python script to feed into R2D like in examples 7 and 8, but noticed that the option to add a script is not available for the HAZUS MH EQ IM damage and loss method. I have two questions: 1) how can I assign the HAZUS fragility curves in my python script, 2) what would be the best way to feed my python script into R2D.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Mariana

steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 12:42:47 AM »
Hi Mariana,

A few weeks ago I released a new example, Ex. 9 - Tsunami, https://github.com/NHERI-SimCenter/R2DExamples/tree/master/E9Tsunami, which does exactly what you want to do. There is also a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxzeZ0kg4g&list=PL2GxvrdFrBlmYq223gclSaVHzkq3NcCIM that explains each step. Note that the functionality described in the example/video is coming in the new version of R2D, which will be released very soon, hopefully by the end of the week. Let me know if you have any more questions, I will be happy to help you get going :)

Best,
Steve

mbenitez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 02:21:39 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing the great news! I will be on the lookout for the new version of R2D.

Best,
Mariana

steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 06:10:14 PM »
Hi Mariana,

The new version of R2D should be up now!

Best,
Steve