Author Topic: About UCERF3 Earthquake Scenario Simulation  (Read 4732 times)

CCChen

• View Profile
About UCERF3 Earthquake Scenario Simulation
« on: May 17, 2023, 10:22:57 PM »
Hello all,

Is there any example for UCERF3 Earthquake Scenario Simulation? I always encounter error warning when applying Earthquake Simulation by UCERF3. I will really appreciate it if you could share any pertinent example or have any advice about this.

Moreover, to only run HAZ hazard similuation, do I need to define other information like VIA, ASD, HTA, MOD, ANA, etc? Or only the GI and HAZ information is enough for runing the hazard simulations?

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: About UCERF3 Earthquake Scenario Simulation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 07:54:19 AM »
We have just put out a new pre release for testing. In pre-release folder, has version #3.0.0,. In this new incarnation the earthquake selection has been moved to the tools menu-bar and as such you can use the tool w/o having to run the rest of the workflow.

can you send the ~/Documents/R2D/debug.log file to see if we can see what is up. if that fails possibly a zoom call will be needed.

CCChen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 10:00:14 PM »
Thanks for your advice! I have solved this problem in version 2.1 by deleting the default value "San Andreas" in HAZ-Earthquake Scenarios-Earthquake name and leaving it empty.

By the way, how to run version #3.0.0 which in pre-release folder? Unlike version 2.1 which has GUI, it seems that it only has code and I couldn't find the execute file.

CCChen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 10:28:01 PM »
Besides, I would like to know the version of UCERF3 in R2D. Is that UCERF3-TI or UCERF3-TD?

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
1. as for missing exe, did you download the mad or windows version?
2. i will ask the developer about UCERF to see if he knows as I am seeing nothing in the code that actually fetches the stuff from OpenSHA to answer the question., The code b.t.w is here:  https://github.com/NHERI-SimCenter/SimCenterBackendApplications/blob/master/modules/performRegionalEventSimulation/regionalGroundMotion/FetchOpenSHA.py

CCChen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 03:14:18 AM »
Thanks for your advice! I have download the right version and it works.
And thanks for helping me asking about the UCERF! look forward to your reply.

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 02:56:28 AM »
from the developer:

Kuanshi Zhong
Fri, May 19, 11:54 AM (5 days ago)
to me

Hi Frank,

We're using the UCERF3 - TD (time dependent).  The time dependence probability of a rupture in UCERF3-TD model is conditional on a time duration - so when output the mean annual rate, OpenSHA converts the time-dependent rate to time independent rate (please see more details in the "Example of Coverting Time-Dependent Probability into an Effective Time-Indpendent Rate" on the page 2 of this OpenSHA's tech note: https://opensha.org/resources/PSHA_Primer_v2_0.pdf).

I think you've directed the user to the "FetchOpenSHA.py" - he should be able to find that Line 218 invokes getMeanAnnualRate() in OpenSHA (https://github.com/opensha/opensha/blob/8a65cdc9ad27f5c3245688759f6c687ee95eff15/src/main/java/org/opensha/sha/earthquake/ProbEqkRupture.java#L57) to do the above conversion.  Just checked that the time span duration used is 30 years.

CCChen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 03:24:59 AM »
Hello Frank and Kuanshi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. What you mentioned is very useful for me and my project. ;D