Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST: Log or Progress Tab in GUI  (Read 5924 times)

atorky

• View Profile
FEATURE REQUEST: Log or Progress Tab in GUI
« on: June 16, 2020, 06:27:02 PM »
Hello,
After attending both sessions on quoFEM (15-16/06/2020), I understand that there is log file for this framework that the developers could use to track the processes inside quoFEM if a user has problems. I wanted to ask FMK and Adam:
Is it possible to have a logging tab inside of the GUI (one that is for the USER)?"
Adam asked during the session if this is for server or local use. I guess it could be beneficial for both, but it could be minimal...
My reasoning for this feature is:
It could help us quickly look back at what has already been processed / what we already did. So if a lengthy process (of 1000 samples rather than 100 samples) is complete, I can return to the software and see my progress from the logging tab. And also check my history of parameter choices, algorithm choices, imported file names, etc... The log text could just be a minimal standard that is triggered by every major user interaction with the software: "Browse/Choose", "Run". Progress of an algorithm that is running from other software might be tricky, but probably very much desirable too!
It could also include useful warnings to the user, if the user decides to press Run when any necessary parameters from the tabs were empty or incomplete. Although there is a warning message that could pop up on the top of the GUI, keeping track of it might be good?...
Thank you for the consideration and this promising framework.
Ahmed Torky

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Log or Progress Tab in GUI
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
a progress tab/bar is a good idea . for running simulations . we can do it for the forward sampling, for sensitivity we can show # samples run (sensitivity performs more simulations than requested), we can show num samples run also for optimization (latter 2 total number simulations run is determined by dakota while running). I have added this feature request to our system and have scheduled it to be in our 3.0 release (Sept 2020)

for logging in we do show messages about what is happening .. not 100% sure a progress bar here helps that much. could you expand further on your thoughts.

thanks
frank

atorky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »
I apologize for the late reply, it has been a difficult time.
The logging part is shown through messages in a text file I believe, I just realized that.
I was wondering if it could appear in a tab of its own in the GUI (with sequential lines and color coding of sentences depending on whether it is an command by the user or an action by the GUI..). I guess this would be just a fancy addition.
Wish your team and you the best!
Ahmed Torky

fmk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:14:19 PM »
we will pop up a dialog box and show the text there .. we have added to our list of things to do=, for reference it is
 DF-196 in quoFEM