Author Topic: Running on quoFEM  (Read 7116 times)

Rashad

• View Profile
Running on quoFEM
« on: September 21, 2021, 10:43:02 AM »
Hello all,
I had downloaded quoFEM (2.3), then I logged in and hit “run” for a selected example in the category. It showed me this "No dakota. err file - dakota did not run- problem with dakota setup or the applications failed with inputs provided". However, in the old version (2.2), it works well. Please, what the problem is ?

AakashBS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Running on quoFEM
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 03:28:26 PM »
Rashad,

We need some more information to identify the problem.

1) Please locate the 'debug.log' file in the 'quoFEM' directory under the 'Documents' directory on your computer, and send a screenshot of the error messages logged in that file when you ran the example.

2) You will find the path to the Local Jobs Directory in 'Preferences' under 'Help' in the quoFEM menu. In your File Explorer, go to the directory called 'tmp.SimCenter' under your Local Jobs Directory. Do you find a file called 'dakota.in' in this directory?

3) Under 'tmp.SimCenter', you will find a directory called 'templatedir'. Do you find the following files in 'templatedir' - 'workflow_driver.bat', 'workflow_driver1.bat', 'writeParam.py'?

4) Please send a screenshot of the 'Preferences'.

Rashad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 04:43:19 PM »
AakashBS,

1- please see 'debug.log' in the screenshot (1)
2- There is NO  'dakota'  file in this path (quoFEM menu/Help/Preferences/tmp.SimCenter) as shown in the screenshot (2)
3- Yes i found only 'workflow_driver' file in 'templatedir' as shown in the screenshot (3)
4- please see 'Preferences' in the screenshot (4)

Thanks

Sang-ri

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »
Hi Rashad,

Thank you for the screenshots. One possibility is that quoFEM is grabbing the wrong python executable. Could you please try the following?

1. In the search box on the Windows taskbar, type regedit, then select "Registry Editor" from the results.
2. Go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimCenter\Common
3. Check if the python executable path written in "pythonExePath" is valid. Probably this is not a valid path.
4. By double-clicking the "pythonExePath", modify the value to the python executable that is bundled with quoFEM. You can find this path from the preference window of the quoFEM.
5. Try running examples again (You don't need to restart the app)

Please let us know if it works.

Sang-ri
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:43:13 PM by yisangri »

Rashad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:06:32 PM »
Thank you, Sang-ri

I have followed the steps.  I also tried to compare the files with version 2.2 files but still doesn't work. Please see the screenshot (5)

AakashBS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 08:30:18 PM »
Rashad,

Thank you for sending the screenshot.

Can you please confirm that in the registry editor you changed the python executable path setting under 'Common'?

Because, in the screenshot I see the registry settings for 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimCenter\quoFEM', not 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimCenter\Common'.

Aakash

Sang-ri

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »

Can you try creating a registry item under the Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimCenter\Common?

You can do it by right-clicking the mouse -> Select 'New'-'String Value' -> Name the item as "pythonExePath" -> Double click the name -> put the python path.

Rashad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 10:18:17 PM »
AakashBS,
sang-ri,

NOW, quoFEM Version 2.3  is working very well. Thank you so much for solving my big problem  :)

AakashBS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 08:22:48 PM »
Rashad,

Thank you for working with us while we located this bug. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Aakash

AakashBS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »
Summary of the issue for users of quoFEM Version 2.3 on Windows:

quoFEM might not find the right path to the Python executable on Windows, resulting in this error message when an example is run - "No dakota.err file - dakota did not run- problem with dakota setup or the applications failed with inputs provided".

The workaround to this bug is to create a registry item for ‘pythonExePath’ under ‘Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimCenter\Common’, as described in this chain.

This bug will be fixed in the next release of quoFEM, expected at the end of September/early October 2021. An update will be posted here after the release.

Sang-ri

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 07:19:05 PM »