Author Topic: PUENTE HILL MW7.1 SCENARIO (A SCENARIO-BASED SHAKING INTENSITIES)  (Read 1918 times)

godfredababio332

• View Profile
Hello all,

I am trying to generate shaking intensities for a set of latitudes and longitudes (building site) using R2D backend code. I'm editing the simulation configuration Json file and I would like to know how to define the epicenter location (Puente Hill Mw7.1 Scenario). Attached is the configuration file.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 07:54:55 PM by godfredababio332 »

jyzhao

• View Profile
Re: PUENTE HILL MW7.1 SCENARIO (A SCENARIO-BASED SHAKING INTENSITIES)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 09:39:26 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for using the SimCenter forum.

Defining the location of hypocenter is not available through editing the configuration Json file, but it is possible by editing the SimCenterBackendApplication python code at https://github.com/NHERI-SimCenter/SimCenterBackendApplications/blob/master/modules/performRegionalEventSimulation/regionalGroundMotion/FetchOpenSHA.py#L295.

However, please note that the GMM selected in your configuration Json file (Boore et al. (2014)) does not use the hypocenter location, and defining the hypocenter location will not make a difference to the predicted ground motions. The only GMM in R2D that uses the hypocenter location is (Campbell and Bozorgnia (2014)). This GMM uses the depth of the hypocenter, and R2D uses the mean of the upper and lower fault edge depth as the hypocenter depth by default. This is reflected in the code linked above and can be edited if you would like to.

I hope this addresses your questions. Should you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Jinyan

godfredababio332

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 09:58:28 PM »
Assuming I have latitude (33.97) and Longitude (-117.91) how do I edit the FetchPSHA code?

jyzhao

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 09:27:11 PM »
Hello,

If you add the three lines at the bottom of this message before Line 295 in the link I sent you in my previous reply, You will be able to set the location of the hypocenter.

Please note that 1. These lines set the location of the hypocenter but not the epicenter. The hypocenter needs to be defined on the fault surface with a depth, and you can add "print(rupSurface.getEvenlyDiscritizedListOfLocsOnSurface().toString())" before Line 295 to check the geometry of the fault surface. 2. The hypocenter defined here is only used by Cambell & Bozorgnia (2014) ground motion models and nowhere else in the backend calculation. If you would like to define the hypocenter for other use, please let us know, and we will see how we can help.

Hope this is clear.

Jinyan

rup = rupList.get(rupture_index)
rup.setHypocenterLocation(Location(33.97, -117.91 , 0))
rupList.set(rupture_index, rup)